ONE OF THE MOST POPULAR EXCURSIONS IN THE WESTERN CAPE
HONDEKLIPBAAI - GERT DU TOIT SE BAAI
16 - 22 DECEMBER 2013
EXPERIENCE THE BEAUTY AND TRANQUILLITY OF THE WEST COAST
The West Coast excursion starts with a tour through Hondeklipbaai and ends at Gert du Toit-se-Baai just north of the mouth of the Olifants River. We then head for Lutzville and civilization. We will set camp at three different campsites for two nights at each camp, all within a stone’s throw of the Atlantic Ocean. The last evening, close to Gert du Toit-se-Baai, where the Cederberg 4x4 formalities take place, will be an evening with many highlights you will cherish for many moons to come. Due to legislation we will not be able to drive on the beach or play in the Groenrivier Dunes, but as with many previous West Coast tours, we will be hugging the coast as close as possible, within the legal limits, via the variety of existing tracks. The beauty of the West Coast and the memorable experiences throughout the visit will never disappoint any outdoor enthusiasts.
The West Coast has a unique character and beauty that leaves you with the feeling that time has stood still for thousands of years. The cold Atlantic Ocean, buffeting the desert-like coastline, forming and moulding it into breathtaking bays, will form part of the numerous sights we will be seeing. Names like Spoegrivier Cave, Boggerolbaai, Groenrivier, Island Point, SS Namakwa, Brand-se-Baai, Matessa-se-Bad and Gert du Toit-se-Baai, to mention but a few. These will be the centre point of conversation for weeks to come after your return from the West Coast. En-route we will pass various active diamond mining sites, where the gems are still mined from the shore, as well as the ship wrecks of the SS Namakwa, which ran aground on 29 March 1876, either through human error or taken by the fury of the Atlantic Ocean. These are only a few of the highlights you will experience while driving through this barren yet so beautiful section of our West Coast, in your own 4x4. Great fun will be had by all and please be sure to have your cameras and videos close at hand for those special moments you may want to capture. Let us enjoy the beauty of the West Coast and preserve it for generations to come by only leaving our footprints behind.
The children will be entertained with special activities such as kite flying, teaching them how to braai sausage in newspaper without a grid and making “stokbread” on the open coals. During these activities many of the adults will be taken back to their own childhood days and spend hours enjoying these activities with the children. Avoid disappointment and book soonest, as we can accommodate only a limited number of vehicles on this excursion.
All information supplied in the agenda is given in good faith by Cederberg 4x4 and compiled from the latest information available at the time. The activity times, as indicated on the agenda, are subject to change without notice and at the sole discretion of the guide.
Vehicles: Only vehicles WITH LOW RANGE capabilities can be accommodated.
Trailors: OFF-ROAD Trailers CAN be accommodated on this excursion.
Grading: The average grading of the trip is a 2.
Nearest Towns: Garies and Lutzville.
Guide: Coenie Moll.
PLACE : ENGEN SERVICE STATION in GARIES.
DATE : MONDAY, 16 DECEMBER 2013.
TIME : 10h00 SHARP. Please respect your fellow participants and be on time. Should you be
running late, please contact Coenie on 083 675 6194 in this regard.
FUEL STOPS & TRAVELLING DISTANCE
All vehicles MUST REFUEL IN GARIES, at the rendezvous point prior to the start of the briefing.
Here we will refuel for the last time, before we reach Lutzville on the last day of our tour. Ensure that you have sufficient fuel on board to complete a distance of at least 350km, this includes sections of low range driving. Should you have any questions in this regard, you are welcome to contact us.
Total travelling distance for the excursion from CAPE TOWN and back is approximately 1100km.
MONDAY 16 DECEMBER 2013
10h00 Rendezvous at the ENGEN SERVICE STATION in GARIES.
10h15 Briefing on day activities and convoy driving.
10h30 Depart in convoy to Hondeklipbaai with various stops en-route.
12h00 Arrive at Hondeklipbaai. Enjoy a short tour of Hondeklipbaai and a visit to the shipwreck of the
Aristea, where a light picnic lunch will be enjoyed.
Depart for Boggerolbaai, via the Spoegrivier Caves, where we will camp the first evening.
16h00 Arrive at Boggerolbaai, where we will set camp for two evenings.
TUESDAY 17 DECEMBER 2013
DAY OF LEISURE. ON THIS DAY WE WILL INCLUDE SPECIAL ACTIVITIES FOR THE CHILDREN, WHICH WILL GET THE WHOLE FAMILY INVOLVED. SURE TO BE GREAT FUN FOR ALL.
WEDNESDAY 18 DECEMBER 2013
09h00 Depart from Boggerolbaai after breakfast for Island Point via Koringkorrelbaai and a seal colony.
Many other interesting places will be seen en-route while the drivers will experience driving
challenges, just to keep them on their toes. A light picnic lunch will be enjoyed en-route.
16h00 Arrive at Island Point, where we will set camp for two evenings.
THURSDAY 19 DECEMBER 2013
DAY OF LEISURE, TO ENJOY THE BEAUTY OF THE WEST COAST AND SURROUNDING AREA.
FRIDAY 20 DECEMBER 2013
09h00 Depart from Island Point after breakfast to our final campsite in close proximity of Gert du Toit-
se-Baai, via places like Silverdoos, the Saltpans at Rietfontein, Namakwasands mining area, Matessa-se-Bad and Brand-se-Baai. En-route we will stop for a light self-catering picnic lunch.
16h00 Arrive at our campsite, where we will camp for the final two evenings.
SATURDAY 21 DECEMBER 2013
THIS WILL BE OUR LAST DAY OF LEISURE ON THE WEST COAST.
RELAX AND ENJOY THE BEAUTY OF THIS VERY SPECIAL AREA.
SUNDAY 22 DECEMBER 2013
09h30 Depart for Lutzville via various active diamond claims, Skaapvlei and Koekenaap.
12h00 Arrive at Lutzville where we will refuel before we depart for Cape Town.
16h30 Estimated time of arrival in Cape Town.
Everyone must be totally self-sufficient for the duration of this trip.
As this excursion is offered as a camping weekend, everyone must be equipped accordingly.
As we will be visiting some of the most desolate sections of the West Coast, there are no ablution facilities and the Cat Method will have to be used.
• All vehicles must be in sound mechanical condition.
• Always ensure you have your vehicle spare keys on excursions.
• Recovery points fitted to the front and rear on your vehicle are prerequisite.
• Your own Kinetic/recovery strap will be advisable.
• Tyre pump and pressure gauge will be required to deflate/inflate tyres. Pack where accessible.
• We suggest you invest in a Powder Fire Extinguisher (Min. 1.5kg), which must be mounted in your 4x4 vehicle as well at a well-stocked personalised First Aid Kit.
• All other recovery equipment will be supplied.
• Use tie-down straps to secure all items packed. Most vehicles are not fitted with adequate tie-down points. Contact the nearest fitment centre in this regard. Securing all items packed is very important from a safety point of view.
GENERAL INFORMATION AND THINGS TO BRING
• Please remember that no alcohol may be consumed by either the driver or passenger(s) whilst driving at any time. Please respect your guides and your fellow participants and save the alcoholic beverages until we return to the camp each day.
• NO WATER is available on the West Coast.
• WATER - Always advisable to bring your own drinking water.
• WATER - We suggest you bring 3/5L per person per day for own consumption.
• WATER - We suggest you bring your water from home.
• WOOD - Bring own wood for braai and sitvuur. Minimum 6/8 x Bags per vehicle.
• No electricity is available at the campsites.
• Remember to bring all personal items, medical requirements, toilet paper and small spade.
• Bring Black bags (what we take in, we take out).
• A communal braai area will be determined on arrival at the campsite.
• Portable braai’s are welcome in the communal braai area.
• Bring braai grid, braai stand, tongs and other cooking/eating utensils.
• Bring your shade cloth "Windbreak", for wind protection. Not essential just a suggestion.
• The days could be warm and the night’s cold. Pack clothing accordingly.
• Always advisable to wear comfortable closed shoes or boots.
• Advisable to have a broad rim hat and sun block available.
• Advisable to always have a sun umbrella or awning on hand. No natural shade at the campsites.
• Remember your crayfish/fishing permits, wet suites, crayfish nets and fishing tackle.
• Remember to bring your bathing costumes.
• No cell phone reception after Garies, until you reach Lutzville.
• Please note: NO PETS ALLOWED.
29 MHz RADIO
Communication between participating vehicles on any 4x4 excursion is important for many reasons. It ensures the safety of drivers, passengers and vehicles while on a 4x4 trail, where drivers can communicate with one another as regards to their location and situation not to mention the interesting information that is shared with participants. The fun part is the many interesting stories that are shared among participants taking the boredom out of the long distances we need to travel to enjoy the great outdoors.
We suggest all 4x4 vehicles that don’t have a 29MHz two-way radio, HIRE one from us at a nominal fee of R200-00 for this excursion.
Should you be hiring a 29MHz radio, please ensure that your lighter socket is working. If you intend running more than one item from the lighter socket, ensure to have double adapter handy as well as spare fuses.
NB: If your vehicle is fitted with a 29MHz radio, please make sure that channels 1, 14 and 23 are open and working for this excursion.
Should you wish to make a once off investment and purchase a 29MHz radio, we have negotiated a special deal for all Cederberg 4x4 participants. For more information, contact Marina on 021 913 4632.
R2295-00 per vehicle plus
SANParks conservation fees
R55-00 (27.5 x 2) per adult or child 13yrs and older for the 2 x nights.
R30-00 (15.00 x 2) per child 12yrs and younger for 2 x nights.
Should you have a valid Wildcard for SANParks, the above conservation fees are not applicable. To qualify a copy of your Wildcard is require upon booking.
R200-00 per radio should your radio not be fitted with a 29MHz two-way radio.
BOOKING AND PAYMENT CONDITIONS
Should you wish to join us on this excursion, please contact Marina immediately to obtain the booking form for this excursion and bank details.
• We can only accommodate a maximum of 12 vehicles on this overland adventure.
• All Cederberg 4x4 excursions are subject to a minimum of 8 x vehicles.
• All bookings are made on a first-come-first-serve basis.
• To secure your place, a non-refundable deposit of R500-00 per vehicle is payable within seven (7) working days after receiving the booking from Cederberg 4x4.
• Cederberg 4x4 requires a completed and signed booking form, as well as proof of payment, via email or fax, to confirm your booking.
• Should you intend being part of this tour but cannot pay the deposit now, please contact the office in this regard to make alternative arrangements.
• Your completed and signed booking form is conformation of your booking and therefore subject to the conditions on page two of the bookings form.
• The total outstanding cost for this excursion is payable on or before Monday 2 December 2013.
• Should you wish to cancel or withdraw after booking for this trip, you will be required to find other people to take your place before any refunds will be considered.
PLEASE NOTE: NO PETS ARE ALLOWED.
FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT MARINA on 021 913 4632
.. Top of Page All information supplied remains the intellectual property of Cederberg 4x4
site designed and maintained by