KLEIN TAFELBERG 4 X 4
ONE OF TEN TOP DESTINATIONS IN THE WESTERN CAPE
OUT WITH THE OLD, IN WITH THE NEW
26 – 27 OCTOBER 2013
THE NEW KLEINTAFELBERG 4X4 TRAIL, MOST SAY IT’S BETTER THAN THE OLD – LET’S GO PLAY
This weekend we can accommodate ground tents, rooftop tents, 4x4 trailers and off-road caravans. The bonus this weekend is that if driving the 4x4 trail is not first option for the whole family, the camp offers a roofed lapa with a rock swimming pool and small kiddies pool to be enjoyed while spending time in the camp or simply put up your feet and relax in tranquil surroundings, recharging your personal batteries. The more energetic might even consider negotiating the hiking trail on the farm.
The Klein Tafelberg 4x4 trail is situated in the Sandveld, between the towns of Redelinghuys and Aurora and ranks amongst the best and more popular 4x4 trails in the Western Cape. The owner Steven Burger and his management team have maintained the trail and facilities to the high standards that we have come to expect. The campsite is definitely top class, with regards to the ablution facilities and the swimming pool while the lapa is a welcome bonus in the summer. Earlier this year a devastating fire destroyed nearly all the fynbos and vegetation on the farm. It nearly destroyed the camp and the newly built chalets. Although the whole of the farm looked like a lunar landscape it was an opportunity for Steven Burger, the owner of the trail, to make changes that were not possible prior to the fire. The changes ensure new and interesting challenges. Nature is so wonderful. When it takes with the one hand it gives so much more with the other hand. After the good rain to date in the Sandveld, the fynbos along the sand section of the trail is recovering quite quickly. This year after the fire an amazing amount of flowers were seen on the farm. This is all the more reason to once again visit this very popular destination.
The major part of this trail consists of sand driving, with challenging sections ensuring your attention is required at all times. An optional mountain section can be included in the driving activities for the day. This gives a good balance to the trail and when negotiating the mountain section the drivers need to adhere to the golden rule of 4x4ing, namely; as slow as possible as fast as necessary, minimizing the possibility of vehicle damage. A further benefit will be the guiding hand of one of your passengers and the Cederberg 4x4 guide, ensuring a safe passage through the various obstacles on the mountain section. A rear diff lock and good ground clearance is recommended for this mountain section but not a prerequisite. Very close to the start of the trail, a long sandy dogleg ascent awaits drivers. Tyre pressure and momentum need to be finely balanced to ensure that you reach the top on your first attempt. Numerous sharp turns breaking your momentum follow this climb before another long and challenging sandy ascent is reached. Here everyone will have great fun, while many photographs and videos are taken, capturing those very special moments. The sand section of the trail ends with an optional challenge of the well-known “Heartbreak Hill”, where many egos have been dented in the past, but with the peace of mind of no damage to vehicles. This is always a popular stop before we return to the camp with all its top class amenities.
The length of the trail is approx. 15km and will take between 4 – 6 hours to complete. The sand can become quite challenging during the summer months, but for anyone who enjoys sand driving with a twist, we highly recommend this trail. The combination of a brilliant trail and fantastic facilities makes this a weekend not to be missed. Book now and avoid disappointment.
All information supplied in the agenda is given in good faith by Cederberg 4x4 and compiled from the latest information available at the time. The activity times, as indicated on the agenda, are subject to change without notice and at the sole discretion of the guide.
Vehicles: Only vehicles with low range capabilities can be accommodated.
Trailers: Off- Road trailers and caravans can be accommodated on this excursion.
Grading: The driving of the trail is on average a 3 grading.
Nearest Town: Redelinghuys.
Guide: Richard, Ethelia and Jake White.
PLACE : KLEINTAFELBERG 4X4 TRAIL near Redelinghuys. Directions will follow upon booking.
DATE : SATURDAY 26 OCTOBER 2013.
TIME : 08h00 SHARP. Please respect your fellow participants and be on time.
OPTIONAL - FRIDAY 25 OCTOBER 2013
All participants have the option of arriving at the Kleintafelberg 4x4 camp on Friday afternoon, set camp and enjoy the tranquillity of the camp. Should you choose to make use of this option it will be for your own account at an additional cost of R150-00 per vehicle. Pay this amount to the guide upon your arrival. Should you arrive before the Cederberg 4x4 guide, please check with the owner which section of the camp has been allocated to Cederberg 4x4.
We advise that all vehicles, off-road trailers and caravans’ tyres be deflated to 1.00Bar at the entrance gate to Kleintafelberg 4x4 as the sand is very soft and loose during the summer month’s en-route to the camp.
SATURDAY 26 OCTOBER 2013
08h00 - Rendezvous at the Kleintafelberg 4x4 trail and set camp.
- Breakfast at the camp and enjoy the amenities and tranquillity.
09h30 - Briefing on activities, the trail, 4x4 sand driving and deflate tyres. Many hints and tips will be shared.
- Depart on the Klein Tafelberg 4x4 trail.
12h30 - Enjoy a light self-catering picnic lunch en-route. No fires are allowed en-route.
16h00 - Complete the 4x4 trail. Return to camp. Relax, swim and enjoy the tranquil surroundings.
19h00 - Communal evening braai where the Cederberg 4x4 formalities will take place.
SUNDAY 27 OCTOBER 2013
1. Sleep late, enjoy a camping breakfast at its best, relax, swim or even braai. Here you have the opportunity to enjoy all the good things this beautiful camp has to offer.
2. If “Heartbreak Hill” got the better of you the previous day, you might consider returning and giving it another shot and recover that dented ego. This option will only be available if one of the local guides or the Cederberg 4x4 guide is available to accompany you.
3. Depart from the camp at your own time.
4. Visit some of the West Coast town’s en-route home
Ensure that your vehicle is refuelled before arriving at Kleintafelberg 4x4.
This excursion is a camping weekend and everyone must be equipped accordingly.
Everyone must be totally self-sufficient for all meals for the duration of the trip.
FACILITIES AND ABLUTIONS
The campsite is at the start of the trail and offers sufficient shade for all participants, including top class ablution facilities, hot/cold water, flush toilets, en-closed lapa, swimming pool and central braai area.
• Please remember that no alcohol may be consumed by either the driver or passenger(s) at any time whilst driving. Please respect your guides and your fellow participants and save the alcoholic beverages until we return to the camp each day.
• WATER - is available at the campsite. (Always advisable to bring own drinking water)
• WOOD – Wood can be purchased at the camp.
• Garbage bins will be supplied.
• A communal braai area will be determined on arrival at the campsite. (Only one fire permitted for the group)
• Portable braais are welcome in the communal braai area
• Remember braai grid, braai stand, and tongs, eating utensils, table, chairs, tent and poles.
• The days could be warm and the night’s cold. Pack clothing accordingly.
• Always consider the possibility of rain.
• Always advisable to wear comfortable closed shoes or boots.
• It is advisable to always have an umbrella or awning available. Not much shade on the trail.
• Remember to bring your cameras, video cameras, binoculars, spare batteries and extra film.
• Remember to pack your bathing suit and sun block.
• Use tie-down straps to secure all items packed, as loose items can become missiles.
• All vehicles must be in sound mechanical condition.
• Always have your spare keys with you.
• Recovery points fitted to the front and rear on your vehicle are a prerequisite.
• Your own Kinetic/recovery strap and 2 x shackles will be advisable.
• A tyre pump and tyre pressure gauge will be required to deflate/inflate tyres. Pack where accessible.
• Carry a fire extinguisher, which is easily accessible in the event of an emergency.
• Always carry your personal medical kit. Pack where accessible.
• All other recovery equipment will be supplied.
29 MHz TWO WAY RADIOS
Communication between participating vehicles on any 4x4 excursion is important for many reasons. It ensures the safety of drivers, passengers and vehicles while on a 4x4 trail, where drivers can communicate with one another as regards to their location and situation, not to mention the interesting information that is shared with participants.
We suggest all 4x4 vehicles that don’t have a 29MHz two-way radio, hire one from us at a nominal fee of R100-00 for this excursion.
Should you be hiring a 29MHz radio, please ensure that your lighter socket is working. If you intend running more than one item from the lighter socket, be sure to have double adapter handy as well as spare fuses for this excursion.
Should you wish to make a once off investment and purchase a 29MHz radio, we have negotiated a special deal for all Cederberg 4x4 participants. For more information, contact Marina on 021 913 4632.
NB: If your vehicle is fitted with a 29MHz radio, please make sure that channels 1, 14 and 23 are open and working for this excursion.
R595-00 per vehicle for the camping option.
R100-00 should your vehicle not be fitted with a 29MHz two-way radio.
BOOKING AND PAYMENT CONDITIONS
Should you wish to join us on this excursion, please contact Marina on 021 913 4632 immediately to obtain the booking form and bank details for this excursion.
• We can only accommodate a maximum of 12 vehicles on this excursion.
• All Cederberg 4x4 excursions are subject to a minimum of 8 vehicles.
• All bookings are made on a first-come-first-serve basis.
• Cederberg 4x4 requires a completed and signed booking form, as well as proof of payment, via email or fax, to confirm your booking.
• The full amount is payable into the account of Cederberg 4x4 TWO (2) working days after the booking form and bank details have been forwarded to you or call our office for alternative payment arrangements.
• Your completed and signed booking form binds you to all conditions on page one and two of the booking form.
PLEASE NOTE: NO PETS ARE ALLOWED.
FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT MARINA on 021 913 4632
.. Top of Page