A 12 KM TRAIL WITH STUNNING VIEWS OVER FALSE BAY AND THE CAPE PENINSULA
11 JANUARY 2014
A DAY OUTING IDEAL FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY
Helderberg 4x4, formerly known as the Two Oceans 4x4 trail, is situated on the Helderberg Farm, some 10 km from Somerset West, in the foothills of the Helderberg Mountains, originally known as the Moddergatsberge (Mud-Hole Mountains). Simon van der Stel granted the farm "Helderenbergen" to Klaas Vechtman in 1692. After several owners, the farm has been in the Hendricks/Obermeyer family since 1837, with the current owner being of the 5th generation.
Main attractions of this route are the spectacular views of False Bay, Stellenbosch and the Cape Peninsula, some 520 meters below the viewpoints. The area is surrounded by pristine fynbos, not surpassed anywhere else in the Helderberg area. Other facilities include a Picnic/Braai area, Tea garden, Kiosk, playground and children’s farm at the starting point.
The Helderberg 4x4 trail consists of two routes – the Blue route and the Red route. The Blue route is a basic scenic drive through the pristine Fynbos to the viewpoint on relatively easy tracks. The Red route is more demanding and challenging through the numerous obstacles, requiring some drivers to choose the correct line of approach at the obstacles, giving you the peace of mind that your vehicle will not be damaged. Interesting obstacles like the Blue Gum Forest, the Boomslang, the Horse Gully, the Bird’s Viewpoint, Sugar Bush Loop and Lord Charles Highway will be included in the driving activities for the day. This is a trail well worth visiting more than once. Here is your opportunity to join like-minded people on one of the more popular 4x4 venues in the Western Cape. The days’ activities will end with a communal braai under large oak trees. Why not invite your friends and introduce them to your quality 4x4 outdoor lifestyle.
All information supplied in the agenda is given in good faith by Cederberg 4x4 and compiled from the latest information available at the time. The activity times, as indicated on the agenda, are subject to change without notice and at the sole discretion of the guide.
Vehicles: Only vehicles WITH low range capabilities can be accommodated.
Grading: Trail grading between 2 and 3.
Nearest Town: Somerset West.
Guide: Adrian Potgieter.
PLACE : ENGEN 1-STOP on N2 out going, approximately 10 km before Somerset West.
DATE : SATURDAY, 11 JANUARY 2014.
TIME : 08h30 SHARP. PLEASE RESPECT FELLOW PARTICIPANTS AND BE ON TIME.
SATURDAY, 11 JANUARY 2014
08h30 - Rendezvous at ENGEN 1-STOP on the N2, approximately 10km before Somerset West.
08h45 - Briefing on activities and convoy driving.
09h00 - Depart for Helderberg 4x4.
09h30 - Arrive at Helderberg 4x4 and deflate tyres.
09h45 - Briefing on 4x4 driving.
10h00 - Depart on the trail.
15h00 - Complete the Helderberg 4x4 trail and arrive at the braai area for a communal braai.
- Return home at your own time.
FUEL STOPS EN-ROUTE
Always ensure that your vehicle is filled at the rendezvous point PRIOR to the start of the briefing.
Ablution facilities are available at the start of the trail and at the braai area at the end of the trail.
Everyone must be totally self-sufficient for the duration of this trip.
• Please remember that no alcohol may be consumed by either the driver or passenger(s) whilst driving at any time. Please respect your guides and your fellow participants and save the alcoholic beverages until we return to the camp each day.
• WATER is available at the start and end of the route.
• WATER - Always advisable to bring your own drinking water on excursions.
• WOOD - Bring own WOOD for the braai.
• A communal braai area will be determined on arrival at the campsite.
• Only one fire permitted for the group.
• No fires allowed on the ground.
• Please bring a portable braai along.
• Portable braai’s can be used in the communal braai area.
• Bring braai grid, braai stand, tongs and other cooking/eating utensils.
• Remember your table and chairs.
• Bring Black bags (what we take in, we take out).
• The morning could be warm and cooler in the afternoon. Pack clothing accordingly.
• Remember to bring your sun block and hat.
• It is advisable to always have an umbrella or awning available when on the trail.
• Remember to bring your cameras, video cameras and spare batteries.
• Use tie-down straps to secure all items packed in the vehicle, as loose items can become missiles.
• All vehicles and Off-road trailers must be in sound mechanical condition.
• Always have your spare keys with you.
• Recovery points fitted to the front and rear on your vehicle are a prerequisite.
• Your own Kinetic/recovery strap will be advisable.
• A tyre pump and tyre pressure gauge will be required to deflate/inflate tyres.
• Carry a fire extinguisher, which is easily accessible in the event of an emergency.
• Always carry your personal medical kit. Pack where accessible.
• All other recovery equipment will be supplied.
29 MHz TWO WAY RADIOS
Communication between participating vehicles on any 4x4 excursion is important for many reasons. It ensures the safety of drivers, passengers and vehicles while on a 4x4 trail, where drivers can communicate with one another with regards to their location and situation, not to mention the interesting information that is shared with participants. The fun part is the many interesting stories that are shared among participants.
We suggest all 4x4 vehicles that don’t have a 29MHz two-way radio, HIRE one from us at a nominal fee of R120-00 for this excursion.
Should you be hiring a 29MHz radio, please ensure that your lighter socket is working. If you intend running more than one item from the lighter socket, ensure to have a double adapter handy as well as spare fuse for this excursion.
NB: If your vehicle is fitted with a 29MHz radio, please make sure that channels 1, 14 and 23 are open and working for this excursion.
Should you wish to make a once off investment and purchase a 29MHz radio, we have negotiated a special deal for all Cederberg 4x4 participants. For more information, contact Marina on 021 913 4632.
Use the table below to calculate your personal cost for the day
COST Nr. Participants Nights TOTAL
Trail R150-00 pv R150-00
Camping per vehicle
Camping Children 12 -16yrs
Camping Children 4 -11yrs
Camping Children 3yrs and younger
Cederberg 4x4 facilitating, coordinating & guide fees R325-00 pv R325-00
Radio hire should your vehicle not be fitted with a 29MHz two-way radio R120-00
BOOKING AND PAYMENT CONDITIONS
Should you wish to join us on this excursion, please contact Marina immediately to obtain the booking form and banking details.
• We can only accommodate a maximum of 12 vehicles on this excursion.
• All Cederberg 4x4 excursions are subject to a minimum of 8 vehicles.
• All bookings are made on a first-come-first-serve basis.
• Cederberg 4x4 requires a non-refundable deposit of R150-00 indicating your intent to attend this excursion.
• Your booking will only be confirmed upon receipt of your non-refundable deposit, completed and signed booking form faxed to 021 913 2333 for attention Marina is received.
• The full outstanding amount is payable into the account of Cederberg 4x4 seven days (7) prior to the event.
• Contact the Cederberg 4x4 office for alternative payment arrangements.
• Your completed and signed booking form binds you to all conditions on page one and two of the booking form.
• Should you wish to cancel or withdraw after booking for this trip, you will be required to find other people to take your place before any refunds or credits will be considered.
PLEASE NOTE: NO PETS ARE ALLOWED.
FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT MARINA on 021 913 4632
All information supplied remains the intellectual property of Cederberg 4x4
.. Top of Page