A MID-WEEK PUBLIC HOLIDAY OUTING WITH THE OPTION OF SPENDING A NIGHT IN THE BUSH CAMP UNDER THE STARS WITH FELLOW FAMILIES AND FRIENDS.
30 APRIL - 1 MAY 2014
A DAY OUTING WITH A GREAT OPTION FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY
The Helderberg 4x4 trail, only a 45 minutes’ drive from the busy C.B.D, is a popular destination and frequently visited by Cederberg 4x4.The Helderberg 4x4 trail is situated on the farm Helderbergplaas some 10 km from Somerset West in the foothills of the Helderberg Mountains, originally called the Moddergatsberge. Simon van der Stel granted the farm "Helderenbergen" to Klaas Vechtman in 1692. The farm has a spectacular view of False Bay, Stellenbosch and the Cape Peninsula. The current owner is the 5th generation of the Hendricks/Obermeyer family, since 1837. Main attractions of this route are the views, surrounded by a pristine fynbos environment, not surpassed elsewhere in the Helderberg area.
The Helderberg 4x4 trail has two route options to drive. The one is a scenic drive through the pristine Fynbos to the viewpoint on relative easy tracks, while the other is a much more demanding and challenging option through the numerous obstacles. On our visit we will be driving the more demanding route. The following interesting obstacles with names like the Blue Gum Forest, the Boomslang, the Horse Gully, the Birds Viewpoint, Sugar Bush Loop and Lord Charles Highway will be encountered en route .This is a destination worth visiting more than once.
The spacious, clean campsite is rustic but comfortable with ample shade and grass underfoot. There are electrical points at each camp, ample water points in the camp and a central braai area. As the camp is situated only 80m from the main activity hall, the ablutions at the hall will be used during our visit. The ablutions offer flush toilets as well as hot and cold showers.
All information supplied in the agenda is given in good faith by Cederberg 4x4 and compiled from the latest information available at the time. The activity times, as indicated on the agenda, are subject to change without notice and at the sole discretion of the guide.
Vehicles: Only vehicles WITH low range capabilities can be accommodated.
Grading: Trail grading in summer is between 2 – 3 and winter 3 - 4.
Nearest Town: Somerset West.
Guide: Richard, Ethelia and Jake White.
IF SPENDING THE EVENING UNDER THE STARS
PLACE : ENGEN 1-STOP on N2 approximately 10 km before Somerset West.
DATE : WEDNESDAY 30 APRIL 2014.
TIME : 17h30 SHARP. PLEASE RESPECT FELLOW PARTICIPANTS AND BE ON TIME.
WEDNESDAY, 30 APRIL 2014
17h30 - Rendezvous at ENGEN 1-STOP on the N2 approximately 10km before Somerset West.
17h45 - Briefing on activities and convoy driving.
18h00 - Depart for Helderberg 4x4.
18h30 - Arrive at the Helderberg 4x4 and set up camp.
- Enjoy a braai at the camp site and a social evening.
IF DOING AS A DAY TRIP
PLACE : ENGEN 1-STOP on N2 approximately 10 km before Somerset West.
DATE : THURSDAY 1 MAY 2014.
TIME : 09H00 SHARP. PLEASE RESPECT FELLOW PARTICIPANTS AND BE ON TIME.
THURSDAY, 1 MAY 2014 (PUBLIC HOLIDAY-Workers Day)
09h00 – Rendezvous at ENGEN 1-STOP on the N2 approximately 10km before Somerset WEST.
09h15 - Briefing on activities and convoy driving.
09h30 - Depart for Helderberg 4x4.
10h00 - Arrive at Helderberg 4x4 and deflate tyres.
10h15 - Briefing on 4x4 driving.
10h30 - Depart on the more challenging 4x4 trail.
14h30 - Complete the Helderberg 4x4 trail. Return to the camp/braai area for a communal braai where the
Cederberg 4x4 formalities will take place.
Return home at your own time.
FUEL STOPS EN-ROUTE
Always ensure that your vehicle is filled at the rendezvous point PRIOR to the start of the briefing.
The ablutions consisting of flush toilets and hot/cold showers at the main activity hall will be used during our visit.
Everyone must be totally self-sufficient for the duration of this trip.
• Please remember that no alcohol may be consumed by either the driver or passenger(s) whilst driving at any time. Please respect your guides and your fellow participants and save the alcoholic beverages until we return to the camp each day.
• WATER is available at the campsite.
• Always advisable to bring your own drinking water on excursions.
• A communal braai area (only one fire permitted) will be determined on arrival at the camp.
• WOOD - Bring own WOOD for the braai. At least 2 x bags of wood per vehicle.
• Remember bring braai grid, braai stand and tongs, cooking/eating utensils, table and chairs.
• Portable braai’s can be used in the communal braai area.
• Bring Black bags (what we take in, we take out).
• The days could be warm and the evening cold. Pack clothing accordingly.
• Always consider the possibility off rain. Pack clothing accordingly.
• Always advisable to wear comfortable closed shoes or boots.
• Remember to bring your cameras, video cameras, spare batteries and extra film.
• Use tie-down straps to secure all items packed in the vehicle, as loose items can become missiles.
• All vehicles and Off-road trailers must be in sound mechanical condition.
• Always have your spare keys with you.
• Recovery points fitted to the front and rear on your vehicle are a prerequisite.
• Your own Kinetic/recovery strap and 2 x shackles will be advisable.
• A tyre pump and tyre pressure gauge will be required to deflate/inflate tyres. Pack where accessible.
• Carry a fire extinguisher, which is easily accessible in the event of an emergency.
• Always carry your personal medical kit. Pack where accessible.
• All other recovery equipment will be supplied.
29 MHz TWO WAY RADIOS
Communication between participating vehicles on any 4x4 excursion is important for many reasons. It ensures the safety of drivers, passengers and vehicles while on a 4x4 trail, where drivers can communicate with one another as regards to their location and situation not to mention the interesting information that is shared with participants. The fun part is the many interesting stories that are shared among participants.
We suggest all 4x4 vehicles that don’t have a 29MHz two-way radio, HIRE one from us at a nominal fee of R120-00 for this excursion.
Should you be hiring a 29MHz radio, please ensure that your lighter socket is working. If you intend running more than one item from the lighter socket, ensure to have a double adapter handy as well as spare fuse for this excursion.
NB: If your vehicle is fitted with a 29MHz radio, please make sure that channels 1, 14 and 23 are open and working for this excursion.
Should you wish to make a once off investment and purchase a 29MHz radio, we have negotiated a special deal for all Cederberg 4x4 participants. For more information, contact Marina on 021 913 4632.
Use the table below to calculate your personal cost for the day
COST Nr. Participants Nights TOTAL
Trail R180-00pv R180-00
Camp adults R40-00pp 1
Camping children 6 -18yrs R40-00 1
Camping children 5yrs and younger Free Free
Cederberg 4x4 facilitating, coordinating & guide fees R325-00pv R325-00
Radio hire should your vehicle not be fitted with a 29MHz two-way radio R120-00
BOOKING AND PAYMENT CONDITIONS
Should you wish to join us on this excursion, please contact Marina immediately to obtain the booking form and banking details.
• We can only accommodate a maximum of 12 vehicles on this excursion.
• All Cederberg 4x4 excursions are subject to a minimum of 8 vehicles.
• All bookings are made on a first-come-first-serve basis.
• Cederberg 4x4 requires the full amount due for the weekend paid into the Cederberg 4x4 account 2 x working days after submitting your booking form.
• Your booking will only be confirmed upon receipt of your full payment, completed and signed booking form faxed to 021 913 2333 for attention Marina.
• Contact the Cederberg 4x4 office for alternative payment arrangements if required.
• Your completed and signed booking form binds you to all conditions on page one and two of the booking form.
• Should you wish to cancel or withdraw after booking for this trip, you will be required to find other people to take your place before any refunds or credits will be considered.
PLEASE NOTE: NO PETS ARE ALLOWED.
FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT MARINA on 021 913 4632
.. Top of Page