GECKO ROCK 4X4
VOTED ONE OF THE TOP TEN TRAILS
IN SOUTH AFRICA
30 APRIL – 2 MAY 2016
Discounts related to Cederberg 4x4 Benefit Card Holders
This agenda qualifies Cederberg 4x4 Benefit Card Holders for the applicable discount.
Standard Card - YES Platinum Card - YES
NB. Cederberg 4x4 Benefit Card Holders only pay R150-00 facilitating, coordinating & guide fees.
The discount applicable will be acknowledged upon booking.
For more information, contact Marina at the Cederberg 4x4 office on 021 913 4632 in this regard.
MAKE USE OF THIS LONG WEEKEND - COME LEARN MORE ABOUT FRACKING IN THE KAROO WITH JONOTHAN DEAL, AUTHOR OF THE WELL KNOWN “TIMELESS KAROO”
The GOLDMAN prize was presented to South Africa’s Anti-Fracking activist Jonathan Deal, owner of the most untouched farm in the Little Karoo - namely Gecko Rock. Gecko Rock was last visited by Cederberg 4x4 in 2013. The farm is situated in the mountains between Touwsriver and Montague, only 2hrs from Cape Town, with Touwsriver being the closest town. Surrounded by breathtaking mountain scenes, with the unique feature of all the mountains flowing in the same direction, this well-planned trail, with good facilities all around, is a more than one visit destination.
Trail and activities
Gecko Rock was acquired by the Deal family in 2002 and the scope of activities includes two 4x4 trails, rock climbing, mountain biking and bird watching. The 4x4 trail consists of two circular routes rising high in the surrounding mountains, offering a variety of challenges; from cross axles to ascents and descents that will test driver’s skills and satisfy any 4x4 enthusiast’s expectations. Part of Touwsriver can be seen from the viewpoint as well as the ever familiar slanted mountain ranges of the timeless Karoo.
The De Wet’s Rus campsite is situated under shady trees in an alluvial plain on the farm. The campsite offers two separate ablution facilities, each consisting of two flush toilets and two hot showers. The communal Lapa offers a central braai area, complete with braai drums and grids as well as a spacious kitchen and a splash pool for the brave of heart.
All information supplied in the agenda is given in good faith by Cederberg 4x4 and compiled from the latest information available at the time. The activity times, as indicated on the agenda, are subject to change without notice and at the sole discretion of the guide.
Vehicles : Only vehicles with low range capabilities can be accommodated.
Trailers : Trailers & Off-road Caravans CAN be accommodated on this excursion.
Grading : Trail grading is between a 2 - 3 when dry and 3 - 4 when wet or snow.
Nearest Town : Touwsriver.
Guide : Richard, Ethelia and Jake White.
PLACE : DIE KLOOF PADSTAL (farm stall) JUST AS YOU ENTER MONTAGUE ON THE LEFT HAND SIDE OF THE R62.
DATE : SATURDAY, 30 APRIL 2016.
TIME : 11h00 SHARP. PLEASE RESPECT YOUR FELLOW PARTICIPANTS AND BE ON TIME.
ARRIVE A LITTLE EARLIER AND ENJOY COFFEE OR BREAKFAST.
SATURDAY, 30 APRIL 2016
11h00 - Rendezvous at DIE KLOOF FARM STALL just as you arrive in Montagu on the left hand side
of the R62. Arrive slightly earlier to give yourself sufficient time to browse the farm stall.
11h15 - Briefing on activities and convoy driving.
11h30 - Depart for Gecko Rock 4x4 via many back roads.
14h30 - Arrive at Gecko Rock 4x4 trail and set up camp.
15h30 - Depart for the obstacle course.
17h00 - Arrive back at camp.
18h00 - Communal evening braai.
SUNDAY, 1 MAY 2016
08h00 - Enjoy breakfast at the camp.
09h00 - Briefing on 4x4 driving as well as sharing many hints and tips.
09h15 - Depart on the Gecko Rock 4x4 trail.
13h00 - Lunch en route.
14h30 - Complete the trail and return to the camp.
18h00 - Communal evening braai, where Cederberg 4x4 formalities take place
MONDAY, 2 MAY 2016
- Enjoy a leisurely breakfast at the camp.
- Head back to Cape to Town at your own time
FUEL STOPS EN-ROUTE
Ensure that your vehicle is refuelled at the rendezvous point PRIOR to the start of the briefing.
FULL ablution facilities are available at the camp, consisting of 4 x hot/cold showers and 4 x flush toilets.
Everyone must be totally self-sufficient for the duration of this trip.
• Please remember that no alcohol may be consumed by either the driver or passenger(s) at any time whilst driving. Please respect your guides and your fellow participants and save the alcoholic beverages until we return to the camp each day.
• WATER - is available at the campsite. (Always advisable to bring own drinking water)
• WOOD – Bring own WOOD for the braai and sitvuur. (Minimum 4 x Bags of wood per vehicle.)
• No electricity available at the campsite. Supply your own light. Remember spare batteries.
• Bring Black bags (what we take in, we take out).
• A communal braai area will be determined on arrival at the campsite.
• Only one fire permitted for the group.
• Consider bringing a portable braai to be used in the communal braai area.
• Bring braai grid, braai stand, tongs and other cooking/eating utensils.
• The days could be warm and the nights cooler. Pack clothing accordingly.
• Remember to bring your cameras, video cameras and spare batteries.
• Remember your table and chairs.
• Always consider the possibility of rain. Pack clothing accordingly.
• Always advisable to wear comfortable closed shoes or boots.
• Remember to bring your bathing costumes.
• Advisable to have a broad rim hat and sun block on hand.
• Use tie-down straps to secure all items packed, as loose items can become missiles.
• No generators permitted on trips.
• All vehicles and Off-road trailers must be in sound mechanical condition.
• Always have your spare keys with you.
• Recovery points fitted to the front and rear on your vehicle are a prerequisite.
• Your own Kinetic/recovery strap and 2 x shackles will be advisable.
• A tyre pump and tyre pressure gauge will be required to deflate/inflate tyres. Pack where accessible.
• Carry a fire extinguisher which is easily accessible in the event of an emergency.
• Always carry your personal medical kit. Pack where accessible.
• All other recovery equipment will be supplied.
29MHz TWO WAY RADIOS
Communication between participating vehicles on any 4x4 excursion is important for many reasons. It ensures the safety of drivers, passengers and vehicles while on a 4x4 trail, where drivers can communicate with one another as regards to their location and situation, not to mention the interesting information that is shared with participants. The fun part is the many interesting stories that are shared among participants.
We suggest all 4x4 vehicles that don’t have a 29MHz two-way radio, HIRE one from us at a nominal fee of R180-00 for this excursion.
Should you be hiring a 29MHz radio, please ensure that your lighter socket is working. If you intend running more than one item from the lighter socket, ensure to have a double adapter handy as well as spare fuse for this excursion.
NB: If your vehicle is fitted with a 29MHz radio, please make sure that channels 1, 14 and 23 are open and working for this excursion.
Should you wish to make a once off investment and purchase a 29MHz radio, we have negotiated a special deal for all Cederberg 4x4 participants. For more information, contact Marina on 021 913 4632.
Use the table below to calculate your personal cost for the weekend
COST No Participants Nights TOTAL
Trail R250-00 pv R250-00
Camping adults R100-00pppn 2
Camping Children 12 -16yrs R65-00pcpn 2
Camping Children 4 -11yrs R55-00pcpn 2
Camping Children 3yrs and younger Free Free
**Cederberg 4x4 facilitating, coordinating & guide fees R550-00pv R550-00
Radio hire should your vehicle not be fitted with a 29MHz two-way radio R180-00
** NB. Cederberg 4x4 Benefit Card Holders only pay R150-00 failitating, coordinating & guide fees.
BOOKING AND PAYMENT CONDITIONS
Should you wish to join us on this excursion, please contact Marina immediately on 021 913 4632 to obtain the booking form for this excursion.
• We can only accommodate a maximum of 12 vehicles on this overland adventure.
• All Cederberg 4x4 excursions are subject to a minimum of 8 x vehicles.
• All bookings are made on a first-come-first-serve basis.
• To secure your place, contact Marina for a Cederberg 4x4 booking form.
• Your booking will only be confirmed upon receipt of your completed and signed booking.
• A 25% deposit is required 45 x days before the trip/tour/overland adventure.
• The balance is payable 21 x days before the trip/tour/overland adventure.
• Should you intend being part of this tour but cannot pay the deposit now, please contact the office in this regard to make alternative arrangements.
• Your completed and signed booking form binds you to all conditions on page one and two of the booking form.
• Should you wish to cancel or withdraw after booking for this trip, you will be required to find other people to take your place before any refunds will be considered.
PLEASE NOTE: NO PETS ARE ALLOWED.
FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT MARINA on 021 913 4632
.. Top of Page